What we do
Airlines UK is the trade body for UK registered airlines, with members representing all sectors of the industry. We work with governments, regulators and legislators to promote the interests of UK airlines, and with organisations across the sector to encourage long-term and sustainable growth in aviation.
We formulate opinions and engage with stakeholders on a number of issues, including airport capacity, taxation, sustainable aviation, disruptive passengers and regulation and consumer protection. We are proud members of the Sustainable Aviation, A Fair Tax on Flying and The Sky’s the Limit industry campaigns.
The UK airline industry
The UK has the third largest aviation network in the world, following the USA and China and our members play a key role in helping maintain this world-class status. In 2017, Airlines UK members employed in excess of 90,000 people, served over 276 million passengers and carried around 1.2 million tonnes of cargo.
Airlines contribute enormously to the vibrancy of the UK economy:
- Direct contribution to GDP of £5.2 billion
- Overall contribution to GDP of £10.9 billion, when the effects of the supply chain and workforce are added
- Support around 200,000 jobs
- Goods worth £116 billion shipped by air between the UK and non-EU countries, representing 35% of the UK’s extra-EU trade by value
- The express air freight sector facilitates £11 billion of UK exports a year and supports over 38,000 jobs in the exports industry
How to contact us